What is Skype?
Skype is the most popular voice and video communication service in the world and one of the pioneers in voice communication over the Internet. You can make unlimited free videocalls to anyone in the world provided that person is using Skype too.
How do I use Skype?
Getting ready for your Skype Spanish lesson with El Blog para Aprender Español is very easy. Just download the free software from Skype.com, create a free Skype account and you will be ready to go in minutes. If your computer does not already have a built-in camera and microphone, you may need to purchase a webcam and headset.
You can even use Skype from your Smartphone or Tablet!
What happens if there are problems with the sound?
If a problem occurs with the sound due to a weak Internet signal, faulty computer equipment, or the Skype program, the interrupted lesson can be rescheduled.
When it is an isolated/punctual problem the lesson or time lost will be made up without any additional cost. You will never miss out on a lesson due to technical problems!
Some recommendations to optimize audio and video quality:
- Make sure Skype is updated. Find the latest version of Skype here.
- Wear headphones. If you hear echoes in the audio, it is because the other party’s speakers are too loud. Wear headphones and the echoes will subside instantly.
- Adjust the light. Ample frontal lighting can mean the difference between talking to a real person and talking to a grainy silhouette.
- Minimize ambient noise. Try to create a quiet, classroom-like environment when you are having a lesson.
- Close other programs during the lesson. Overloading your Internet capacity with open programs could worsen audio and video quality.
- Use Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi. Ethernet will give you a much smoother, more consistent experience.